the online ramblings of a generally confused game designer

Friday, October 06, 2006

Fame, but a distinct lack of fortune

Hello all, I'm back, and I'm very sorry for leaving you all for a week.. needless to say, it's been a bit busy. Today's post is going to be a bit of a catchup for me as well as you, so bear with me as I try to cover everything...

Visiting Day
So, I like made this game.. it's about kids and aliens and stuff... can't remember if I've mentioned it here at all. Well, last Thursday I released it.. and no one played it. Well, no one who didn't either know me personally or read the ever insightful and skillfully written gnome's lair. So I took matters into my own hands, firing off a couple of emails to websites I thought might like the game. In the last 24 hours 1000 people have played the game, and I hope they enjoyed it :)

I'm still waiting on the music, but it will arrive eventually. Thanks to Chentzilla the game will be featuring on the cover of an upcomming Russian games magazine, and a very kind lecturer is handing out those postcards I showed you before at the London Games Summit right now. So hopefully this is not the last post I'll make on the game :)

Some of the lovely sites that have featured my game...
http://www.pspfanboy.com/2006/10/05/visiting-day-a-quirky-flash-game/
http://indygamer.blogspot.com/
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/
http://gamesetwatch.com/

... I'll post any other sites I find it on

Mutton Jeff
Every now and again a job comes along which is fun, scary, interesting and cute all at the same time... usually I have more time though :) A flash site for a really cool Welsh design studio.. www.muttonjeff.com - Me creating a site from their designs.. a great gig

Tree
Well, what do you know, suddenly I'm done on Visiting Day, looking for a new game to develop. Luckilly my degree requires me to build a cool game for a July completion date, so I can make something bigger, and better. Now till christmas will be spent on pre-production, and then a mad four month crunch to actually make the bloody thing.

Obviously I want to build on the success of Visiting Day, and make something addictive, beautiful and above all fun. The game will be officially pitched next thursday, and I think thats the best time to do it here aswell, as I'll have a finalized (ish) story, game design and maybe a little preliminary art. More to come, as this blog slowly but surely moves to focus on the development of the game, which for now at least, will be known as 'tree'

As I still don't have access to the internet at home, the next post will be on Monday, see you then

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(standing ovation)

(gnome finally sits down)

Congrats!

5:57 pm

 
Blogger Chentzilla said...

You can't make an ovation on your own, so I join.
But also I want to remind that I said "cover disc", not an actual cover. The mention in the magazine itself is rather brief.

12:58 pm

 
Blogger mike said...

absolutely.. well that is more than good enough :) sorry if my wording was off lol

1:10 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home